Learn How To… With This Beginners Graphghan Crochet Tutorial
Learn how to… with this Beginners Graphghan Crochet Tutorial. They are deceptively easy to make!
Firstly, what is a Graphghan? I think Alex From Yarn Geek Makes, describes it most accurately when she says ” …a graphghan is just a combination of stitches and color changes made to mimic the design of a graphed image”
She is at pains to point out that if you are a confident beginner, which means you have already learnt the basic and fundamental stitches in crochet, then you will definitely be able to learn how to make a graphghan. All the stitches used to make a graphghan are based on those original basic stitches.
Whichever stitch you decide to make your Graphghan in, you will find that the process always remains the same.
Check out this tutorial, written by Mark Roseboom from the Guy With The Hook. He has given us a written and photo tutorial designed to make our Graphghan’s easy for us. Please click here: Graphghan Tutorial
We also have a video tutorial, created by The Crochet Crowd, especially for beginners:
Corner-to-corner crochet (C2C) allows you to begin in the corner of a crochet project, and works towards the other corner. It produces a project that looks like a layered version of the granny square and uses only 3x basic stitches, the chain stitch, the slip stitch and the double crochet.
Take a look at this video, created by It’s all in a Nutshell Crochet, on C2C Graphs for Beginners:
Tunisian graphghan stitches create a very elegant basket weaved look. Tunisian stitches are like a cross between crocheting and knitting. It involves leaving loops on your hook when you are crocheting forward and then removing them when you crochet in reverse.
Check out this video tutorial, created by Yarnjoy Podcast, on how to Tunisian Crochet a Graphghan:
Graphghans are also easy to make. Design possibilities are limitless. If you just make the same graph in a different stitch, you’ll end up with two projects that look very different!
5 Steps to Making Graphghans
- Sizing-Sizing is crucial because you want your project to be a certain size in order to meet a particular need.
- Choosing a Stitch – there are lots of different stitches that work well for Graphghans. There are several other options to choose from, too, such as: single crochet, double crochet, mini C2C, block stitch, bobble stitch, and even filet crochet.
- Designing Graphs – Designing the graphs for projects is almost as much fun as crocheting them! Design possibilities are endless.
- Figuring Out Yarn Requirements – This just boils down to how much yarn is required for each block on your graph for your project. Once you know that measurement, a little math can help you estimate how much yarn is required for your entire project.
- Adding the Finishing Touches – Borders are an example of a finishing touch you can add to your graphghan to make it look finished. Just a plain single crochet border can add some extra personality to your project.
If you like this tutorial and would like to see more FREE tutorials, please click here: Tutorials
Featured images and Videos-The Crochet Crowd, Yarnjoy Podcast, Yarn Geek Makes and It’s All In A Nutshell Crochet-thank you!